Near the shores of Lake Nockamixon, St. Peter’s Tohickon is a historic church. The word ‘Tohickon’ is from the Lenni Lenape Native Americans who originally inhabited the area. The Lenni Lenape, named the creek To-Hick-Hanne meaning Deer-Bone-Creek, leading to the modern name Tohickon Creek. Tohickon was incorporated into St. Peter’s name, thus honoring the Native American name and site.
The original church on this site was founded by German immigrant families in 1743. Copies of old German Bibles and hymnals may be seen at the church. Many of the early family cemetery plots are located in the fields around the current church building. The two cemeteries commemorate church founders, members, and possibly Lenni Lenape Native American mounds from before the Revolutionary War.
The church building shares its history as you approach. The two sets of double doors read “Reformed” church and “Lutheran.” Originally, the current church building held worship services for Lutheran and Reformed congregations. In the late 1950s, Peace Lutheran built its own church building about a mile “down the road.” The remaining Reformed congregation became a United Church of Christ congregation in 1957. It retains ongoing relationships with many offspring churches in the area.
This historic church building originally had its sanctuary on the ground floor. Thus, it has stained glass windows on both levels, previously highlighted in the Bucks County magazine. Part of the church property includes two schoolhouses, which until 1955 were still used as one-room schools. One building is now the Parish House offices and meeting room.
The road to Bethlehem PA ran in front of the church until the scenic Lake Nockamixon was established. The church is located less than a quarter mile from the lake and the Lake House Inn with its beautiful gardens on the lakeshore; and is located about three miles outside of the town of Perkasie. People come to worship from many different areas and join us online from other states. We offer both in-person and online worship. We invite you to come and worship with us soon!
We are Open and Affirming…God Welcomes All of Us Here!!!~St. Peter’s